The Castle is located 5 miles to the north of Oban. The rough outside walls were part of the MacDougall build in the mid 12th century. The castle was captured by Robert the Bruce when he took his revenge following the battle at the Pass of Brander in 1308. As a Royal Castle, it was given into the care of the Campbells.
The castle was burnt in 1685 by King James II and Dutch troops to squash an uprising by the Earl and his supporters. It was Painstakingly rebuilt and became a garrison for government forces during the 1745 Jacobite rebellion.
Now it is maintained by Historic Scotland. Dunstaffnage castle is open to visitors all year round and there is a small exhibition & gift shop. Car parking is free.
see MacDougall's Castles